Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:47:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryan Ogawa at Work <bogawa@netvoyage.net>
To:        "Alexander Berry, Jr" <aberryjr@cedar.cic.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xfree86 and telnet

On Sat, 23 Mar 1996, Alexander Berry, Jr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am getting ready to install freebsd and xfree86. This will be a unix
> server accessed via telnet.
>
> My question is are there any problems running xfree86 from telnet session. I
> would access the uxix server via telnet then type 'startx' at the prompt.

As I can (rather unfortunately) attest, the answer to this is, "probably
not".

However, to answer a better question, you probably don't want to do this.

There are two parts to X: the server (which displays graphics on
hardware), and the client (which sends messages to the server to display
graphics on the server's side).

startx is designed to start (and run) the X server.  You'll probably need
to be at the console to use startx usefully.

As far as for running clients (the programs that want to display graphics,
like Netscape or Emacs or rxvt or what have you), you *can* run them on
the telnet machine over telnet and have them work.

> Thanks Much,
>
> Alexander Berry, Jr.
> aberryjr@dial.illinois.net
> 73364.1734@compuserve.com