Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 19:08:02 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Test/Release cycle.

Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com> wrote:
>Something that bothers me is the (to me at least) unbelivably
>short 12 day Test/release time for 2.0.5.  The Alpha was released
>and 12 days later 2.0.5 was released.
>
>I wonder if I am alone in thinking that that is *way* too short
>of a time?

You must not be aware of the introduction of the -stable and -current streams.

Release times in the past have been fairly disorganised times.  Many people
(all volunteers) were under a lot of pressure.  I'm glad I was not a cog in
those wheels.

The new scheme has 2.2 under construction while 2.1 is being tidied and
polished.  When 2.1 is immaculate, it will be released, and 2.2 will become
-stable, while 2.3 will be created as -current.

I for one am impressed with the dedication of the core team to this parallel
development system.  It requires a lot of extra work, and they aren't the
ones that benefit.  We are.

I expect an excellent 2.1 (and up) will result from this system.

Stephen McKay.