Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 13:24:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, michael@memra.com, joel@quicklink.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation Needed for server setup

> > Some other folks have been talking about 32MB of RAM.  Well, maybe it was
> > just me, but that did not cut it for me.
>
> Yes, I'm running 32Meg, and expires are pretty lengthy.  I really wish
> motherboard makers would get a clue.  I've been running a system for over
> 10 years, on 5 or 6 systems, and every time I've upgraded it's been so I
> could put more memory in the system, not because I needed more horsepower.

Well this is the world of computers :-)  Remember even Gates screwed up, and
don't you ever forget that 640K is more than enough to do ANY job.  (Notice:
DOS users are still living with this ****up).

> > > Unless you're concerned about security, then you run smail :-)
> >
> > Eh, security through obscurity?  Nobody's yet explained to me why smail is
> > more secure than Sendmail, beyond the fact that nobody really uses smail and
> > therefore the security loopholes that it may offer do not get noticed as
> > rapidly.
>
> Well, the author did once comment about having at least thought about
> security while writing it (meaning no slight on Eric).  Regardless of
> whether smail's holes aren't there or just don't get found, the fact
> is, I've never seen a CERT advisory for it, whereas sendmail has them
> about once a month (well, maybe a quarter).  If all the crackers are
> poking at sendmail and ignoring smail, that's still a good reason to
> use in my book.  Besides, the main reason I run it is that you can
> actually configure it without a configuration compiler and a personal
> guru :-)

Guess I see that differently :-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968