Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2013 21:10:01 GMT
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: standards/181240: /bin/sh choking on a certain construct

The following reply was made to PR standards/181240; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To: Tamas TEVESZ <ice@extreme.hu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 23:06:43 +0200

 On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 01:54:02PM +0000, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:

 # >How-To-Repeat:
 # /bin/sh -c 'echo foo || >&2 | cat'
 #
 # (Or, if you have misc/mc installed, hit ^[3 on a .diff/.patch/.so etc. file for which mc calls /usr/local/libexec/mc/ext.d/misc.sh)

 A simpler invocation is

     $ >x | cat
     Syntax error: "|" unexpected

 If I read the SUS shell grammar correctly, a lone redirection cannot be
 a simple command in a pipe, so this is an extension that the other
 shells accept. I'm not sure if this is a particular useful extension.

 Regards,

 	Jens
 --
 Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/