Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:58:03 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Microsoft

Ted Mittelstaedt said on Jun 28, 2001 at 02:46:03:
> "...FreeBSD has traditionally been an operating system that encouraged
> unencumbered experimentation. ... And that's what we're using it for. We're
> using it to prove the point that you can actually implement the CLI on Unix.
> It's been around a long time, people use it commercially. Microsoft uses it
> commercially, actually...."
>
> In case you missed it he just said that Microsoft uses FreeBSD commercially.
> "it"
> in this context refers to FreeBSD, not CLI.

I think they mean things like Hotmail.  Or maybe they borrowed some
stuff for Win2K...

> >Incidentally, recent moves by Caldera seem to suggest that per-seat
> >licensing of a "prettified" distribution is not incompatible with
> >linux either.  This week's lwn.net editorial takes a surprisingly
> >positive stance on this.
>
> It never has been incompatible.  Nothing in the GPL prevents people from
> charging for the source - but they must make any source touched by GPL
> available for free.  Obviously when you do this you can't charge much for
> it.

The GPL is not incompatible with selling a boxed distribution, but it
is incompatible with a "per seat" license.  You can sell it to A, but
you can't stop A from further redistributing it, or insist that it can
be installed only on one machine (or used only by one user).

> In Caldera's case they most likely haven't released all their "prettified"
> code under GPL, thus they don't have to redistribute that, and thus they can
> charge higher prices for the distribution that includes the pretty code.

The lwn.net report suggests that their distribution includes
third-party commercial software, which is why the distribution as a
whole cannot be freely distributed and a per-seat license is possible.
They had released their installer under an open-source (I think GPL)
license: I don't know whether that has now changed.  You are still
free to yank out any GPL-covered components of their distribution and
redistribute those separately...