Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:06:01 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: qpopper

"Hudson, Henrik H." wrote:

> In addition, Outlook is a piece of junk..Pegasus mail will actually do want
> you want via a POP interface and download only unread mail and leave stuff
> on the server. Of course, you still have to purge it occasionally..otherwise
> you will just fill up your mailbox. If you go this route via POP you won't
> be able to "see" what's on the server anymore, since you download it and
> delete it locally, but it's still on the server. IMAP is the way to go, if
> you want to do this "correctly" :)

I would assume that Pegasus is keeping track of message ID, and when it
contacts the pop server only downloads message IDs that it doesn't
already have. Outlook doesn't appear to be this intelligent (with
reference to POP anyway) Like I said earlier, POP3 was never really
designed to work that way, so it's saying a lot for Pegasus that it's
able to handle it.
It's odd that you should mention Pegasus in this manner. One of my
clients will be switching from Pegasus to Outlook soon because they're
unhappy with Pegasus and Outlooks seem to fit their needs better. I
wonder if they're on an old version of Pegasus??

-Bill