Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 18:11:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
Cc:        Nat Low <natlow@empnet.com>, RPD <zula@webbernet.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic re-dial

On 22:32:11 Burton Sampley wrote:
>>On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Nat Low wrote:
>
>> To keep my connection established, I have a cron job that checks my mail
>> every 10 minutes with popclient.  If you setup ppp or pppd to dial on
>> demand, this checking of mail will cause the connection to re-open if it
>> gets dropped.  The max down-time would be 10 minutes, but you could make
>> the cron job run at lesser intervals.

Actually, its even easier than that!  The PPP options file has a parameter that
will generate an LCP echo request at intervals you can set.  Just uncomment
it and set the value you like.  The options file I have selects a value of 30 se
c.
All you need to do is delete the '#' on that line to turn it on!  This causes th
LCP process (part of PPP) to send an echo request every 30 sec, and if your
provider sees it, he'll send back a packet.  Keeps the line up nicely, thank you
>.

Paul