Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 16:04:55 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems after PAO -> 2.2.5 stable

> > Which component "doesn't work"?  The card has no idea which IRQ it's
> > triggering, and AFAIK the pcic doesn't interpret the CIS, nor does the
> > kernel, so I can't see anything other than pccardd that's at fault
> > here...
>
> Don't know.  If I try to use the first free irq for my ethernet card it
> doesn't work (I can't remember which one it is, but it is free).
> However, if it's one of the 'accepted' IRQ's, it does work.  I have no
> good explanation of why this is the way it is, other than what I stated
> already.

Well, it sounds like my logic above is screwed.  Let's be Sherlock:

 - pccardd doesn't do it (I checked)
 - the kernel doesn't do it (I checked)
 - the card _can't_ do it (it has no idea what IRQ is actually being
   generated)

So once the impossible has been eliminated, I can only conclude that
the pcic *does* interpret the CIS.

Without the PCCARD standard or any pcic documentation to hand I can't
go much further than this, but I think we do need to establish whether
this is really the case, and if it is, what we can do about it.

mike