Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:32:08 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        keramida@FreeBSD.ORG, no_spam@worldpost.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arrgh squared

When first-time installing FBSD, it would be a good idea to remove any
extra hardware so that you start with an easier configuration. Then, once
the OS is installed, then start adding back the hardware needed by priority
of importance to the final objective for the machine. This approach would
only apply IF there is a problem with the first tries to install.

A good DOS background would help as well. If this is the first time to be
confronted with a blinking cursor waiting for you to do something, that
could be somewhat intimidating. But, perseverance is probably the best
ingredient absent the help of a good friend nearby with some experience to
help kickstart things for you.

Perhaps because there seems so much to learn that it appears intimidating,
but like the answer to "how do you eat an elephant?".... "one bite at a
time" applies here. After each little "breakthru", helps inspire you on to
the next aspect.... You'll be amazed how fast the knowledge accumulates
over some dedicated time and effort.

It is a powerful system well-worth the time and effort.... then you can
move over from "newbies" to "questions" to help you through some other
barriers that your own research fails to clarify.... the handbook is a
terrific source, but may require reading and re-reading... and trial & error.

At 06:42 AM 2.11.2002 +0000, Chip Wiegand wrote:
>Wow, you make it sound so much worse than it really is. I was a newbie a
>couple years ago, and managed to not only install and set up fbsd but
>use it exclusively now (at home). I'm glad it wasn't as difficult as you
>make it out to be. Sure it *can* be difficult to get certain aspects of
>it going, but I think it depends more on your hardware than on luck.
>Someone with a machine full of the latest and greatest hardware is going
>to find it more difficult than someone with a machine a year or more old
>with common hardware. You do make many valid points, I just think it is
>a bit easier than you make it sound. At least that's been my experience,
>after about two years and many installations and upgrades. :-) Well,
>it's off to work now where I have to deal with a company full of
>tempermental NT machines. Heh, Heh.
>
>Regards,
>Chip W
>www.wiegand.org
>chip@wiegand.org
>
>On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:59:26 +1100
>Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:
>
>> FreeBSD is as easy as any other OS to _use_. But you need a system
>> administrator to set it up for you and maintain it. That's the basic
>> idea. These days people expect to do everything themselves, and have
>> good practical reasons for needing to. But that means you have to
>> start with the most difficult part (install, setup) before you can
>> begin to learn the easiest (using its programs and shell commands).
>>
>> Microsoft and Macintosh systems, by contrast, are designed to be
>> used without a system administrator on tap. You don't get to choose
>> much about how you want your system set up, because the OS assumes
>> you don't know, and that you must be shown no options to confuse you.
>> Rigid, predictable, user-installable. It's horses for courses.
>>
>> When I'm teaching someone, I start with a few easy commands and lots
>> of concepts with much time spent treasure-hunt style testing out how
>> the thing works (I can go 'cd /path/directory' but what would happen
>> if I just went 'cd'?). It is a long long time before a large number
>> of common shell commands are easy to run off the fingers. Much much
>> later you're supposed to be able to do very easy admin things, like
>> installing a CD package with /stand/sysinstall or pkg_add while
>> referring to instructions. Much much later you can cope with more
>> admin tasks before you get to the hard ones that the real sysadmin
>> will do for you. And after a lot more time, you might get up to
>> doing most or all of the admin tasks yourself. But installation
>> and setting up a unix system, whoah, that's a whole other level
>> higher.
>>
>> So here you are, madly trying to remember to type ls instead of dir,
>> and you're expected to be able to install and configure a unix
>> machine? Sure, it's _supposed_ to be hard! It's all back to front!
>> What you "should" be doing is getting someone very experienced to
> [...]

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"