Date:      Wed, 7 May 2003 13:07:55 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum: after kernel panic, incorrect avail shown on drives (long)

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC

On Tuesday,  6 May 2003 at 21:34:21 -0600, Tillman wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:36:05PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Tuesday,  6 May 2003 at 11:43:14 -0600, Tillman wrote:
>>> Quick problem summary
>>> =====================
>>>
>>> `vinum ld` reports 5120M of available free space on a drive that is
>>> actually full.
> <snip>
>>> Version info
>>> ============
>>>
>>> I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE (Tue Apr 29 10:26:03 CST 2003), with no
>>> changes to kernel or vinum sources.
>>
>> Yes, I've found and fixed a bug in this area.  I'll MFC it to the
>> 4-STABLE branch in a few days.
>
> Will the new code transparently correct the avail space reported (and
> whatever issues are behind that) or will I need to backup -> recreate ->
> restore?

The problem is simply in the in-core calculations of space on the
drive.  It doesn't affect anything on disk, so stopping and restarting
Vinum will fix it.  The only potential danger is if you create new
subdisks on a drive.  It's possible that they might overlap existing
ones, but I'm not even sure of that.  You can see the drive free list
with 'vinum ld -v'.  If that's correct, it's not a problem.

Greg

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC--