Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 22:14:19 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, scanner@jurai.net, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, louie@TransSys.COM, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

In message <20000106152026.A98222@virtual-voodoo.com>, Steve Ames writes:

>>     On the other hand, there are *plenty* of things already in 4.0 that really
>>     need to get out there and get a workout by a larger audience.
>>     Delaying *them* is a big mistake.
>
>*shudder* I really, really dislike the idea of -RELEASE actually being a
>wide beta so that some code can get a workout.

Who said anything about -RELEASE being a beta ?  Some parts of a release
will always be new, but the majority of it is the same code we released
as 3.X, 2.X and even 1.X.

We need for people to stop thinking of FreeBSD as commercial software
which comes in "natural number" style enumerable packets.

FreeBSD style is "real number", it is a continuously evolving
quantity which every now and then passes a natural number on the
way to infinity.

We can now spot a milestone called 4.0 and that's very nice, but we
are not going to stop, because the road goes on past 4.0.

I'm sorry you you can't have ${insert pet feature here} in 4.0 if
it is not ready yet.  That's too bad, check in later.

In the meantime please enjoy:

	NTFS filesytem

	Netware support

	Jail facility

	Tons of new device drivers

	Netgraph

	etc, etc

Isn't that just that very incomplete list worth a release ?

FreeBSD-4.0 because now the time is right!

Poul-Henning

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!