Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2015 12:34:41 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, joe@tao.org.uk
Subject:   Re: ada drives keep timing out!

On 02/20/15 12:21, Dr Josef Karthauser wrote:

> In this case other report no such issues on the same hardware running Linux, so it seems to me to be an internal timeout issue within FreeBSD, or maybe Linux retries more than FreeBSD and so doesn’t experience the issue that we do. It’s clear that FreeBSD is proactively disconnecting the drive when the timeout occurs. So, maybe there’s something that can be done there.

Hello.
While I cannot disagree with this last sentence, I've had my share of
troubles with WD Green drives too.

I had to replace them more than once during their warranty period, and
was almost happy when they finally broke after the warranty was over.

Leaving that aside, these drives will power down if not used for a
while, but there is a DOS utility which can disable this feature. Not
only this will avoid an even shorter lifespan, but it's an essential
procedure if you want to use them with FreeBSD.
If you haven't done this, then do it.

After doing that, I was able to use them with some controllers, but not
others, so YMMV.

Finally, upgrading from 7.x to 8.x and then 9.x helped a lot, but in
your case I don't know if there is any improvement after 9.2.

HTH.

  bye
	av.