Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 01:40:56 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Elliot Finley <efinley@efinley.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 on su

Elliot Finley wrote:

> Nothing seems to work.  So, being that he is well funded, he buys a
> whole new box.  A PII 350, 256M RAM, 9G SCSI Fujitsu, 2940UW adaptec,
> Intel ether express pro+ 10/100.  Not sure what video card.  And he
> still gets a signal 11 when doing an 'su'.  Nothing else that we've
> tried gives us a signal 11, not even a 'make buildworld'.
>
>      Has anyone seen this?  What else should we try?

Try building a debugging version from the source and using gdb.

cd /usr/src/usr.bin/su
make CFLAGS='-g -Wall'
gdb ./su

I'm no expert on gdb, but type "run" to run the program, and then "bt" and
"list" should give clues as to where it's failing. If gcc produces any
warnings when compiling it, they may help as well.

You do have the sources, don't you?

> I'm having a real hard time keeping him enthused about FBSD.  I have
> to keep sending him little bits of news that I find that relates to
> how much better FBSD is than NT (hehe).

wcarchive.cdrom.com. 'nuff said? :-) That machine transfers about 800GB
per day to 3600 users at once (at least, that's what the last "new
record" message to -chat said, or thereabouts). I make that at least 9MB
per second. I don't think my disks could even cope with that, but since
wcarchive has 38 ultra wide SCSI disks[1], and I have two EIDE disks, I
suppose that explains that :-)

Point out also that Microsoft, who wrote NT for christ's sake, can't
even get it to handle the load of running Hotmail's servers, so there's
no hope for that OS.

Also, su may be crashing, but at least it's doing it consistently, so
you've got a hope of tracking down the problem. Microsoft products crash
when you least expect them to, for no apparent reason, and completely at
random.

--
[1] according to ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/wcarchive.txt
--

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key