Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:00:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        Devinder <devd72@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ftp

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Devinder wrote:

> Recently I downloaded all directories and files for
> FreeBSD 4.6 and then copied onto CD but installation
> from CD is not successful.
>
> What is the right procedure to FTP and then copy to
> CDROM..
> Does any other file need to be copied apart from the
> normal files..

Download the iso cd image from you nearest mirror site - which for
Sweden ftp.se.freebsd.org

/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.6/4.6-disc1.iso is the file you want
probably - it is 600 MB.  If you had a slower connection you might
prefer 4.6-mini.iso instead, which is only 180MB.

You can then burn it onto a CD.

Really though, as you are on Ericson's fast link, you might as well
download the two boot floppies from
/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/floppies - kern.flp and
mfsroot.flp, write them to a disk using either UNIX dd or
/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/tools/rawrite.exe, boot from them
and install FreeBSD via FTP, specifying ftp.se.freebsd.org as your ftp
server.  That is the technique I usually use on reasonably Internet
links and it saves a lot of messing about with CD-Rs.

--
W. Palfreman. 		http://www.palfreman.com/william/
Tel: 0771 355 0354	PGP ftp://ftp.palfreman.com/pub/wfpkey.asc