Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:42:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@Dataplex.Net>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disk layout concernes (was  Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change )

> At 8:50 PM -0600 3/16/98, Studded wrote:
> >Strong vote for keeping it in. In my mind (and with all due respect to
> >those involved) the problems we've seen were caused by too little
> >notice, too little regression testing, and too few people reading the
> >right lists at all. It seems to me that the bugs have been worked out of
> >the thing, and we have an opportunity to shout the news from the

> I believe that this is incorrect. I, am I am sure others who might not
> be so vocal, have a configuration that I don't know how to use with the
> new kernel.
>
> As I understand it, Mike understands the problem but does not (yet) have a
> solution short of reformatting the HD.

I'll just sit on this one right now (I've been away playing house).

You are completely wrong.  I have told you this previously, and went to
the special extent of mailing you explicitly once the (legitimate)
problem you were seeing was corrected.

I have never suggested that reformatting your disk was required (or
recommended).

> This is not a version mismatch problem. I have the latest (-stable) of
> everything. This includes the "mount", MAKEDEV, and kernel changes. All
> imagined sd0 entries are in /dev, etc.

Then you have been remiss in describing your situation to me.  I have
not received any sort of bug report from you regarding your situation,
let alone any supporting detail.