Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 18:10:45 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        ragnar@sysabend.org (Jamie Bowden), eivind@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI, XFS and OSS?

Terry Lambert writes:
> > XFS on an indy R4600/133mhz with ultra-narrow drives on a scsi2-fast
> > controller did better than my K6/233mhz with AHA-2940UW with UW drives for
> > large directory reads and writes.
>
> This is not a useful comparison.

Partly I agree. The Indy series are/were the bottom of the line at SGI
when they were introduced. When monitored a huge "rm -rf" doesn't
consume much CPU time on either Irix or FreeBSD so CPU speed and bus
bandwidth don't appear to be limiting factor. If I still had my Irix
systems I'd pit a 400 MHz P-II with any SCSI HD and speed against a 64MB
Indy R5000 with narrow 10M Byte/Sec SCSI and similar HD.

What I have noticed with either FreeBSD or Irix, the disk transactions
around 100 to 150 per second. XFS appears to get more milage per
transaction, or its caching somewhere. Most likely its caching in its
log partition.

Others have observed FreeBSD with softupdates sounds like the HD has a
heartbeat. I agree. But its nothing like a busy XFS filesystem.