Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 05:24:21 -0100
From:      Rainer Koschnick <arkay@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 installation on Asus K8V-D impossible?

Joseph Koshy wrote:

>>I could give it a try, yes.  This is on a VIA K8T800 chipset.  I really
>>don't know what could cause this error since the message itself isn't
>>very helpful (no device information or anything).
>

> A few weeks back I tried 5.3-RELEASE/amd64 on an MSI K8V Neo board with
> 512MB RAM and a 40GB Samsung PATA HDD.  This board had a Via K8T800
> chipset.
>
> While the initial install went through without problems, the board failed
> the standard  test of running "make -jN buildworld".  The indications were
> of memory corruption under load.  Tweaking the relevant BIOS settings
> didn't help.

That doesn't sound too good then.  Well, I tried this 5.3 release dated
30th of January with the same result I got before.  I am wondering which
chipsets the other amd64 users here are using, there aren't too many
choices if nForce4 & K8T800 fail.  Unless of course people here are all
using MP which I can't afford :)

My problem though is that I cannot even get it to install.  I have to
turn off the USB ports in order to pass the first couple of tests.

I made a screenshot at the point where it froze with USB turned off (it
doesn't even get to ask for a reboot).  With/without APIC, with/without
promise controller--all makes no difference.

http://www.arkay.de/temp/FreeBSDBoot.gif

Anyway, even if I _would_ get to install it my hopes of having a usable
system are quite low.

Using an i386 build wouldn't make any difference, would it?

Cheers,
Rainer