Date:      Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:21:41 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

"Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> > IMO, they had practical purpose.  You can always trace taboos
> > back to community experiential knowledge.  I rather think the
> > pork taboo was rooted in disease avoidance, since there are a
> > lot of diseases that cross species boundaries with pork, if it
> > is not prepared properly.  Lacking sufficient foundation to
> > discover what "properly" was, the taboo was established (there
> > are alternate theories; that oneis merely the simplest).
>
> Here's mine:  The people of Israel were set aside by God as His
> chosen people.  As such they were to be distinguished from the
> gentiles through ceremonial practices, one of which included not
> eating pork.  When the Messiah came, God expanded His promises
> to the whole world, there was no longer to be any distinction
> between jew and gentile, for all are one in Christ, thus to
> retain the ceremonial laws would be to not admit that Christ
> now joined the two peoples together in reconciliation with God.
>
> What do you think?  8-)

I think it fails the simplicity test, and it fails the predictive
test.

Your theory requires additional axioms that are not required by
the previous theory, and your theory failed to predict accurately
the newly created taboo against the eating of non-fully-cooked beef
in Britain and elsewhere as a result of the discovery of the prion
source of BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, otherwise known
as "mad cow disease"), or the ability of the disease to cross
species boundaries into humans, and exhibit as nvCJD (new variant
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease).

-- Terry