Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2020 15:41:34 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Showstoppers for RPI3

On Feb 26, 2020, at 10:33 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 06:32 +0100, Klaus K=C3=BCchemann via =
freebsd-arm
> wrote:
>> But that=C2=B4s the absolute joke of the century :-) that these =
issues
>> last so long here on the mailing list=20
>=20
> The current freebsd-arm devs keep pointing out that nobody is
> especially interested in maintaining or working on rpi* stuff at all.=20=

> Why in the world would you be surprised that nobody is working on it?
>=20
> If you want to run freebsd on arm hardware, try using hardware that
> people are actually working to support.  If you must use crappy rpi
> hardware, either run linux on it, or consider paying someone to do the
> freebsd support you need.  Complaining that nobody will work for free
> on hardware they hate working on is just... complaining.  Pointlessly.

All fair enough.  I'm probably in the same boat as Bob Prohaska inasmuch =
as I have a couple of Raspberry Pi devices of varying vintages hanging =
around.  I'm a longtime FreeBSD user, so, naturally, I prefer to run =
FreeBSD on these devices, and have done so for a while (with varying =
degrees of success/stability).

It sounds from the above I shouldn't bother, for pain and misery will =
attend me all my days as a result. :-)

If Raspberry Pi is a crappy platform and a bad choice to use, =
FreeBSD-wise, what is the suggested alternative in the same =
low-power/low-price (and Raspberry Pi-like spec) arena?  Is it the =
Pine64 stuff like the PINE A64, ROCK64, and ROCKPro64??

I'm willing to buy something other than Raspberry Pi (I have a =
BeagleBone Black, for example), but I don't want to buy something that =
is derided and despised by FreeBSD developers and avoided by them like =
the plague.  I am not an ARM/SoC or electronics expert, so I feel =
unqualified to know what is a "crappy ARM platform."

Also, if the true situation with Raspberry Pi is that it is unlikely to =
see development within FreeBSD, it would be more honest to deprecate the =
platform officially on the FreeBSD site.  I'd even go so far as to =
suggest not to distribute official images for it, as that carries with =
it a hint of blessing and support.

Cheers,

Paul.