Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 1996 23:56:49 -0700
From:      Mark Smith <msmith@3-cities.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DAT problems

Dan Nelson wrote:

> The same thing happens to me, but I'm using an internal Adaptec 1542CP,
> "ARCHIVE Python 25947-XXX 2.49" DAT drive.  The lockups occur when
> reading tapes written on other drives.  I think it's the drive locking
> up the SCSI bus, since if I unplug the SCSI cable from the drive, cycle
> power on the drive, and plug the SCSI cable back in, the bus frees up.
> In the syslog, I get:
>
> Jul 25 10:34:45 dan /kernel: st0(aha0:3:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc:44,0 Internal target failure
> Jul 25 10:39:57 dan /kernel: st0(aha0:3:0): timed out
> Jul 25 10:40:03 dan /kernel: aha0: adapter not taking commands.. frozen?!
> (panic/drop to DDB.  Reset tape drive, "C"ontinue from DDB, system
>  continues as usual.)

Dan and others,

OK, here's what I found.  My system has all my SCSI devices (HDD, CDROM
and DAT tape) on a single ribbon cable.  I was asking a guy at work
about it and he said to check ALL the devices' termination paying
special attention to any that have powered termination options on
the device.  Well, I did and out of the 3 devices, the CDROM has
the option and it was enabled.  I disabled all terminator power
options and the problem went away!!  I can now tar to the SCSI tape
from the SCSI CDROM while hammering on the SCSI HDD! <G>  Life is good!

Mark