Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 22:41:10 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, chris@monochrome.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2R to 4.3R upgrade

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> types:
> > > Is there a list somewhere of exactly which ports/packages this applies
> > > to? Which ones "have their fingers in the kernel" and how would I know
> > > that? Do I just wait until something chokes when I try to use it? FWIW,
> > > my perspective is that of a home user who does something else for a
> > > living.
> > Unfortunately not.
> But it's mostly applications which monitor or access system statistics
> like lsof does.  In fact, the only applications in this class are
> probably those which link against libkvm; you could use ldd to see if
> you have any binaries linked against libkvm.

Mostly, but not completely. I've been bitten by cdrecord more than
once. It's use of libcam may be a similar flag.

There are a lot of reasons for upgrading ports across a release. A
port being broken is just the most pressing one.  You should really
upgrade any port that involves compiling code, or that has been
updated.

That this process is a pain is a known problem, and there are a number
of people working on automating the process. For instance,
"pgk_version -c" examines the installed packages and the ports tree,
and produces a script to update all the packages that have been
updated. The script needs to be used with some care, though. Replacing
a binary that's currently in use might not be the best thing in the
world to do.

	<mike