Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 1995 11:55:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   tcpdump - status

Gentlemen;
  Some time ago I say traffic on -hackers about tcpdump. Today I needed
to build it to see why xpilot xon't connect to its server.

I built libpcap-0.0.6 and tcpdump-3.0.2. I had to tweak the configure
script to pass freebsd, and move the xdr.h in a couple of  files to get
it to compile and link.

Unfortunately it won't run as follows:
<local/src># ll /dev/bp*
crw-------  1 root  wheel   23,   0 Jul 29 09:04 /dev/bpf0
<local/src># ll /usr/local/bin/tcpdump
-rwsrwxr-x  1 root  bin  177809 Sep  4 11:40 /usr/local/bin/tcpdump
<local/src># tcpdump
tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

Since it is not in the packages or ports of 2.0.5R, does this mean it just
doesn't work with 2.0.5R?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |