Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2013 23:23:09 -0500
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using svn to checkout a deprecated port.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:43:03AM +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 19/02/2013 05:53, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to use svn to checkout the old "security/cfs" port so I can
> > do a one-time transfer of some data off of a USB drive. At the end of
> > the day, I just need the one port so if the cvs repository is
> > available I could also get it that way. In either case, I'm trying to
> > do the equivalent of:
> >
> > $ cvs co -r '2011/10/01' $FreeBSDportsRepo security/cvs
> >
> > in English, I want to checkout security/cvs from ports as it existed
> > on October 1st, 2011 (the port was deprecated on November 1st 2011.
> >

> It appears that checking out a deleted path doesn't work even if you
> specify a rev that it exists in. But checking out the parent works.
> I'd check it out to another dir then copy the specific files over.
>
> svn co -r 282000 svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head/security/
>
> You can change the svn.freebsd.org to svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org or
> svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org
>
> For reference I went to http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports and clicked the
> revision number at the top (above the sticky revision box) then tried#
> jumping to a few different rev numbers till I got close to a commit date
> just before 2011/10/01. Once you have the rev you want you can go back
> up to ports (link at top of page) and enter a sticky revision. Then you
> can go to security/cfs and view the files.

Thanks for the quick answers everyone, the trick seems to be three steps:

    # prime the tree with a guess as to the revision that you need.

    svn co -r <something> --depth immediates svn://<path>/security

    # refine the guess using the svn logs.

    cd security/cfs && svn log

    # checkout the revision that you wanted. ( updating didn't work...)

    cd ../.. && rm -rf security && svn co -r <target-from-log> svn

-- Chris

                                      "There will be an answer, Let it be."
                                           e: chris -at- vindaloo -dot- com