Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 96 17:34:59 +0100
From:      "John Richards" <john@zyqad.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions following new 2.1.0R installation

Hello all,

I have a number of questions following my successful installation on 2.1R.

1.  When I boot I get as far as the bit that says it is starting 'sendmail' and
then it sticks.  I have set up sysconfig to not start sendmail yet this still
happens.  What gives?  I get past this point by hitting Cntl-C.

2.  Probably related to 1.  When I log in through xdm it pauses for a long time
before letting me in.  Ditto when I start emacs, netscape.  I think this must be
because it is trying to check with something like a nameserver?

3.  I'm trying to get my USR 28.8 external modem working.  I've read the
handbook and the FAQ but my problem is that when I do a 'tip modem' t says that
/dev/cuaa1 is locked.  Yet I can do a 'cu -l /dev/cuaa1 -s 57600' and get
connected to the serial port.  Having got connected to the serial port I get no
feedback from the modem.  I type 'AT<Return>'; I see nothing on the screen no AT
no OK nothing.  Yet I do know that the modem receives what I send 'cos
ATDT9549666 dials my service provider who responds and accepts a login - well
I'm assuming the last 'cos I can't see what's happening.  Where have I gone
wrong??  My settings are IRQ3 and 0x2f8 for the com port and even DOS agrees.

4.  If I set up user PPP, or the other one (kernel?) will I still need a dialer
program?

That will do for now as until I get past these I can't get any further wit hwhat
I want to do.  I'm not certain that 3 shouldn't be addressed to the hardware
list.

Thanks to Jordan and the team for all the work.  Keep it up some of us really
appreciate it.

Bye

John
(Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)
John Richards                           * email : john@zyqad.co.uk
Zyqad Ltd,                              *
Suite 25, GPT Business Park,            *
Technology Drive, Beeston               * tel   : +44 115 922 0820
NOTTINGHAM. NG9 2ND.                    * fax   : +44 115 967 8374