Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:26:05 +0900 (JST)
From:      bmad@pobox.com (Ben "GoaB" Madison)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DNS problem

Hi...

I'm having a problem with named.  I'm running a local server
which acts as primary DNS for my home network (192.168.42.x),
and caches everything else.  My resolv.conf lists the localhost
first, then my ISP's two nameservers.

When I attempt to access a particular host in my ISP's network,
the resolver returns an invalid IP address.  Other hosts work
fine.  Using nslookup with the local server, this invalid IP
address is returned for the host.  Using nslookup with one of
the ISP's servers, the correct IP is returned.

When I dump the local server's database (with SIGINT), I can
find the host of interest and see *both* the valid and invalid
IP addresses.  The valid address is listed in what looks to
be the reverse-lookup section, while the invalid address seems
to be in the forward-lookup section.  I assume it cached the
valid address after I telnet'd there using the correct IP I
found through nslookup?

A couple of questions:

1) how'd the invalid IP address get there in the first place
   (this was all running fine for months before this happened)...
   do you think my ISP just changed the address of this host
   without bothering to mention it?

2) how can I force my server to recognize that there's been a
   change in this host's address?  I've tried sending the
   server a SIGHUP, and even killing and restarting the server,
   but it keeps using the bogus address.

Thanks for your help!

--
Ben Madison         "Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you
bmad@pobox.com       were a congressman.  But I repeat myself."