Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:36:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@dorm-36314.rh.uh.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why gcc is the system's compiler.

I have recently been wodering why FreeBSD uses gcc as the system compiler
as opposed to whatever compiler came out of CSRG.  Did that compiler have
to be removed as a result of the lawsuit, or was it simply too old to be
worth updating.  Not to knock gcc, but I, as I believe many people think,
would rather the base distribution be all BSD tools, or at least have a
Berkeley style license.

Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician
Snyder Oil Corporation