Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:51:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        Brian William Francis Tobin XXIX <jebudas@plato.virgil.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adduser - more than 8 chars

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Brian William Francis Tobin XXIX wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to add users with usernames larger
> than 8 characters.

You have to change /usr/include/utmp.h (aka /usr/src/include/utmp.h)
and /usr/include/sys/param.h (aka /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h) first to allow
>8 character usernames.

Then you have to rebuild your system (inc. kernel I suggest).

Then you have to recompile any extra utils (like top) which refer to
utmp.h or param.h.

Finally, hack the source to /usr/sbin/adduser to remove the check for <8
character usernames.

WARNING: I set my UT_NAMESIZE & MAXLOGNAME to 16, but it seems that the
login program (FreeBSD 2.2) won't allow a username > 14 characters.  The
filesystem works ok (e.g. I can cd ~verylongusername, but I can't login as
verylongusername).  I just discovered this fact today and I'm trying to
figure it out via the login source code.

Whenver I try to login with a 15 or 16 character username I get:

Jul 25 12:48:52 milehigh login: setlogin(verylongusername): Invalid argument
Jul 25 12:48:52 milehigh login: setlogin(verylongusername): Invalid argument
Jul 25 12:48:52 milehigh login: setusercontext() failed - exiting
Jul 25 12:48:52 milehigh login: setusercontext() failed - exiting
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions