Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:48:18 +0100
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: EISA cards.

Chuck Robey writes:

>Steve, I don't have an EISA smp board, so I felt I didn't need to reply,
>but your suggestion is fine with me.  Thinking about it, the only EISA
>boards out there would be getting a little aged, and it seems fairly safe
>to exclude them from smp work.

Bzzzt. Wrong.

Micronics do dual (and quad) Pentium/PPro motherboards, which are
PCI/(E)ISA configured.

Indeed, my personal SMP experimentation machine (though not my 'real'
SMP machines) have 3COM EISA cards in them for management interfaces
(the 'real' work going out through PCI cards).

Fortunately, the 3c579 Vortex is bus-mastering, so would appear to be
unaffected by the suggested changes here (please correct me if
I'm wrong here -- when it comes to hardware, I'm more of a
Sun (so sue me :) person than PC).

However, the point remains that until somebody figures out a totally
PCI-based motherboard (7-8 PCI slots), we *cannot* afford to completely
blow away EISA support, as you would seem to suggest.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet Ltd.