Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:22:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      <david@sparks.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.8/450 P-II/2940 problem

Are there any likely "gotcha's"  with 2.2.8 from the dist CD, a 450 P-II
(Tyan 1832DL), and Adaptec 2940UW controllers?

The motherboard woks fine with an IDE drive and 2.2.7.
The system can backup from the IDE drive to a DLT7000.  It appears to
finish normally, but would not access the tape to verify it afterwards.

2.2.8 will install on the disk (ST34520W) on my home system.
With the same drive, controller, and cable the P-II will not finish a
boot.

Installs of 2.2.8 onto a scsi drive always randomly fail, somewhere
between "cant stat /mnt" and actually reading some of the install
tarballs.

I've tried two 2940UW's, three cables, and three disk drives. Termination
is set properly.  I've tried failing hardware on a K6/350 system and it
worked fine.

Any guesses?

Thanks,

--- David Miller