Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:50:50 +0100
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Page FreeBSD should be listed on...

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 10:13:09PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Anyone with the actual information (or willing to dig for it) want
> to contact this guy to get FreeBSD listed?
>
> 	http://www.cyclic.com/cvs/info-req.html

I just sent this;

===

I've just been looking at

    http://www.cyclic.com/cvs/info-req.html

and see you list large projects using CVS.

Would you care to list FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org/)?  We've been
using CVS since (at least) May 1994 to manage the FreeBSD source code,
the ports tree, and the FreeBSD web site.

In addition, you might like to point readers at CVSup, which can be
found at

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

In a nutshell, this is a more intelligent replacement for "cvs update"
that can drastically reduce the amount of information that needs to
be transferred between a repository and users of that repository (or
mirrors).  When synching with the FreeBSD repository I often see an
effective bandwidth of 70KB/s over my 33.6kbps modem line.

CVSup is also used by other projects, include KDE and Postgres.

Thanks,

nik@freebsd.org

--
--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--