Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:00:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        wrickard@thunder.ocis.temple.edu (William S Rickards III)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD

In a previous message, William S Rickards III said:
> I am an undergraduate computer science major at Temple University...
> I work mostly on Digital Unix and SunOS...

Digital Unix is OSF/1 the failed attempt of DEC, HP and IBM to produce
competition for SVR4 which came from ATT and Sun.

SunOS aka SunOS 4.x aka Solaris 1.x is based on BSD 4.2 with some 4.3
stuff migrated in and some SVR3 mixed in for good mesure.

Solaris 2.x aka SunOS 5.x is based on SVR4.

FreeBSD is most like SunOS 4 of this bunch, as it's based on BSD 4.4.
Obviously, it's got years of development advances over SunOS 4.x, which
development was stopped on it 7 years ago or so.

The Linux kernel is sorta based on Minix which was sorta based on
SVR2. Obviously, it also has years of development. The  rest of
Linux come from everywhere, BSD, GNU, new development, etc. I've
never run it, so I can't say what it "feels" like.

> I don't know the differences between different versions of UNIX...
> I just know I have to change the syntax for some commands when
> on different servers.
>
> later
> will
>
> p.s. I had Linux successfully installed on my machine...
> but was using a bootable floppy... I was not fond of the idea of
> writing over a Win95 MBR... or such like.

The MBR has nothing to do with Win95 or any other OS you load on your
PC. The MBR just has code to point to the OS. Changing it will not
effect Win95 or any other OS you install.

--
Change your thoughts and you change your world.   --Norman Vincent Peale