Date:       Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:33:16 -0600
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HPT372 (HighPoint) Driver Comparison

(Originally posted to -stable but I've received no response.  Perhaps
someone in -questions has come across this.  If possible, please CC me
the replies as I am not on the -questions list.)

Hello,
   While looking at all the IDE RAID options, searching through the list
archives, and visiting assorted websites, I noticed that HighPoint has
their own driver for the HPT372 (nothing for the 374 as of yet) chipset,
which is used in the RocketRaid 133 controllers.  This driver supports
the controller/chipset under the daX SCSI devices.

   How is this driver different from the one built into Freebsd (ata
device)?  Has anyone tried using the Highpoint created one?  (I believe
it's available as a binary-only module for FreeBSD 4.3/4.4 as of now)
Are they any comparisons yet between HPT controllers (with their driver)
and the other IDE RAID options?

   Also, their driver set also seems to contain an X-based management
utility.

Jaime Bozza