Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:25:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      "\"Ulrich_Gruenebaum\"" <grueneba@luzi.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        gdunn@mac.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum list complains that one of my plexes is faulty

Hi Gary,

> to mirror a pair of hard disks. I almost have it working, but vinum
> list complains that one of my plexes is faulty. Is it really, or is
> the vinum error message bogus?

I didn't take a deep look into your debug infos,
but I had a similar problem (posted yesterday
to freebsd-isp and freebsd-scsi).

In my case it seems that vinum's message was faulty.
I just had to start the second subdisk seperatly, then
it revived and afterwards everything was fine in the
"up" state. I suppose that vinum wanted to tell me,
that the second plex was not consistent with the first.
Of course the volume works in both cases, whether
the second plex is available or not, that's what
you intend in the mirror configuration.

This is an excerpt of the vinum commands I used:

  create -v <configfile>
  init -v -w mirror.p0
  init -v -w mirror.p1
  start mirror
  start mirror.p1.s0      <--- before doing this, the second
                               plex was shown as "faulty"

This was my vinum config file (taken from
the mirror example in the manpage):

  # vinum config file
  drive d1 device /dev/da1a
  drive d2 device /dev/da2a