Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 21:16:33 -0500
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "dial-up networking"

To all:

I've been trying to configure user ppp following the steps in the html
handbook that I downloaded with 2.1.7. (also consulting man pages). No luck
so far.

What I would like to do for starters is use the Netscape Communicator 4.02b
package to surf, read news, and check e-mail--more advanced stuff like
setting up a server later.  I've got Xwindows and Communicator running,
more or less--just an error message when I try to  set the news host server
("news.rma.edu") in Communicator.  What is the best way to  establish a
connection with my ISP?  Do I, for instance, get user ppp running on an
xterm and simply start up or switch to the browser?  I don't see a ppp
xwindow package or port (something akin to MS Windows Dial-up Networking).
Is there such a thing?  Or, barring a GUI fix, a better command-line
program?  Not to sound ungrateful, but the documentation for user ppp
confuses me.

Michael Alwan