Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:06:05 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
>
> > decision was made on the third day when I learned how to create a TAGS file
> > and do tags-searches within Emacs.  Two days later learning about Emacs
> > built-in support for RCS and CVS really put the nail in vi's coffin.
>
> vi supports tags too.  The tag-building program for vi comes in
> FreeBSD's base install.

Yes, it does.  It just doesn't support multiple buffers nearly as well as
Emacs, which makes the tags search a lot less useful.  It also doesn't support
flexible screen-splitting, which is how I use tags searches, and makes the vi
feature useless to me.

All of this should, of course, be directed to emacs-advocacy@emacs.org,
but chat isn't too far off.  ;^)

> To me, the big advantages from emacs derive from the fact that all of
> your text handling occurs in a single environment.  That's not as
> important now that cut-and-paste between X applications works well,
> but touch-typists still get a big advantage from not needing to take
> their hands off the keyboard.

Cut and paste in X still tends to mangle tabs and such.  vi and xterm make
a workable environment, Emacs makes a better one.  I'd love to see something
better come along, but I've been waiting for that for a number of years.

> And, of course, the fact that I can write new commands relatively
> easily.  And start using them inside the editor immediately.

Yup.  Plus all the various modes you can obtain to automagically do things;
its kind of the original open source system.

> Be well.

I will, thank you, and you as well.