Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 16:22:59 +0200
From:      Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, Magnus Lundquist <magnus@frozen.nu>, Gene Wright <genew@home.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnomeui.so.4 (was: Re: gnome 1.2 & gnomecore 1.4??)

Aloha again!
A small follow up with some additional info.

Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> Ade Lovett wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 08:39:06AM +0200, Magnus Lundquist wrote:
> > > A quick fix (probably not the best one) is to do what I did:
> > >
> > > ln -s libgnomeui.so.5 libgnomeui.so.4
> >
> > That, quite frankly, is mind-bogglingly bad.
> >
> > I'll say this one more time.  Update your ports.  Look at x11/gnome/Makefile.
> > Notice how the PORTVERSION is 1.4, and not 1.2.  Notice how a whole
> > bunch of other GNOME ports have been updated.
> >
> > Do NOT intermix GNOME 1.2 and GNOME 1.4 -- remove all traces of
> > GNOME 1.2 from your system.  If this is problematic, grab a 4.3-RELEASE
> > CD, do a binary reinstall of your entire system, grab the latest ports
> > tree, then cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome; make install clean and wait a few
> > hours.  Then start adding your other GNOME-related ports back.

I've checked the Gnome website and the latest stable version of
gnomelibs (used in Gnome 1.4) is 1.2.13. So, the problem now is, where
and how is libgnomeui.so.4 supposed to be installed?

My .xinitrx file looks like this:
exec gnome-session
sawfish

when I run startx the screen momentarily switches resolution, but goes
back to terminal with the error:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object libgnomeui.so.4 not found

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson