Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:32:21 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        freebsd-xircom@lovett.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom 10/100 in current

> I doubt very much that the driver will run on -current.

1.19 worked fine in 4.0-CURRENT.  But this was before the newbus stuff.

> With all the newbus-ification that's been going on in -current, I think
> you'll be SOL.  Feel free to prove me wrong though!

It would be very good if people could give the xe driver some attention
in -CURRENT.  I pushed things a little to get the xe driver in -STABLE as
new bits are to be committed to -CURRENT 1st until they prove themselves.

> On top of that, I suspect that the driver as it exists in the master
> source tree won't even work on -STABLE.

If that is the case, someone should send me diffs against the RELENG_3
branch.  If the driver isn't working in the base tree, then it is useless
for me to maintain it there.

> Last time I looked, phk (I think) had put a large comment around the
> xe_memread() and xe_memwrite functions, declaring them to be bogus.

It would be really nice if someone closer to the issue would email
phk@freebsd.org (yes it was him) and was why the cdevsw[] access is bogus
and what the right way to implement the needed information is.  :-)))

> > Which Xircom card specifically??
> > Which rev of if_xe.c do you have?  If you have 1.20, please try 1.19.
>
> Is there something screwy with 1.20?  I didn't think I'd made any
> functional changes in that version, just documentation stuff, and renaming
> things to mach the Xircom spec.

There are no problems with 1.20 over 1.19 that I know of -- but as was
said in a later email, it doesn't hurt to try an older rev of the driver.
Until someone has one of every type of card the xe driver supports, it is
very possible that some small change will break functionality on one of
the cards.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)