Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:13:17 -0400
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   rc.firewall rule question.

on a 4.1 box i've confirmed ipfw/nat working using a simplified rule script.

however, when i use the default rc.firewall script (modified for my machine)
using the 'simple' parameter designed to protect a network and allow nat, my
internal private network (10.90.1.0) doesn't work (i know could i be more
specific...).

i've added

${fwcmd} add allow icmp from any to any

at the next to the last entry of the ruleset to help with diagnosis.

when I comment out the line

${fwcmd} add deny all from 10.0.0.0/8 to any via ${oif}

it still doesn't work, however when i comment out the line

${fwcmd} add deny all from any to 10.0.0.0/8 via ${oif}

i can ping to external domains.

I guess my big question is, does this script actually allow private internal
domains to reach the outside world when properly configured?

Has anyone gotten this script to work properly.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services, Inc.