Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 12:23:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   latest pgcc and mpeg decoding

I've been fooling around with the pl9 release of pgcc 2.7.2 and have been
getting some confusing results.

I compiled mpeg_play with -O3 -mpentium  and ran it with the -no_display
option

Processor           Frames per second      Colors correct
Intel 486DX2/66		6.334190                yes
AMD   486DX4/133        7.915858                no
Intel P90               8.552898                no

Now the AMD part, which when I purchased it I asked for a AMD 486/133,
says on the chip AMD 5x86/133 P75.  And it certainly looks like, in my
test, the AMD part would do as well as an Intel P75.

However, I thought that pgcc used pentium "specific" instructions and I
was expecting core dumps on my 486 machines.  Or is it that pgcc uses
pentium "optimized" intructions?

In either case, why is the AMD part clearly holding its own against
the P90 and why do the AMD and Intel P90 share the color buglet?

--
Brian Litzinger					       Powered by FreeBSD
<brian@mediacity.com>                            http[s]://www.mpress.com