Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 17:11:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP and demand start

How do,

Running 2.0.5 SNAP 950622, I've managed to get PPP working quite nicely.

Well, almost. At the moment, a session looks something like this:

   [root] [surfs-up] ~> ppp
   User Process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
   Log level is 09
   Using interface: tun0
   Interactive mode
   ppp on surfs-up> pass ********
   ppp ON surfs-up> dial demon
   dial OK!
   login OK!
   ppp ON surfs-up> Packet mode.
   PPP ON surfs-up>

And everything goes fine. I can telnet, ping, netscape and so on.

So I want to move on to the next level of sophistication, demand
starting. If my reading of the manual page is correct< i should just be
able to do

    ppp -auto demon

and PPP will then dial out as and when necessary. If I do this however,
PPP starts up, announces that it is in auto mode and becomes a daemon
(preety much what I expected). But if I then try and ping, telnet or
netscape out I get told that the network is unreachable. PPP does not
attempt to dial out.

/usr/share/FAQ/Text/ppp.faq is out of date, and www.freebsd.org is so
overloaded that I can't get on it to check out the old message archives.
Any help much appreciated.

=-[Opinion, n: See the above text for an example]=-=[Kibo #: e]-[RYRYRY]=-=
=-[The Silly Sod Society: To perfect and to swerve]=-[beable]-=[TP U BG]=-=
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.  Managers know it must
be good because the programmers hate it so much.