Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:53:18 -0500
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@avaya.com>
To:        'Helge Oldach' <freebsd-stable-21nov02@oldach.net>, archie@dellroad.org, "'larse@isi.edu'" <larse@isi.edu>
Cc:        guido@gvr.org, dkelly@hiwaay.net, hausen@punkt.de, archie@dellroad.org, sullrich@CRE8.COM, greg.panula@dolaninformation.com, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: IPsec/gif VPN tunnel packets on wrong NIC in ipfw? SOLUTION A ND QUESTIONS

[deleted]

> Seems to me that we need some trickery routing using shadow routes to
> make this work, similar to using gif interfaces with ESP tunnel mode.
> This would add another point of confusion and violate POLA.
> Seems to me
> that an esp0 interface is really only useful for ESP tunnel
> mode. In that
> case it should be a point-to-point interface similar to gif.
>
> Perhaps worth mentioning: ESP transport mode over a gif tunnel is
> *not* the same as ESP tunnel mode. Having a FreeBSD box with transport
> mode/gif work against a non-FreeBSD machine in ESP tunnel
> mode will not
> work.

If you are referring to IPIP tunnels (e.g. gif) then applying IPsec
transport mode to the outer IP, then see
http://www.isi.edu/larse/papers/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-04.txt or the IETF ID
site on how this works.

Most of their work has been on FreeBSD, using IPIP tunnels (i.e. gif) , then
applying IPsec transport mode.  The draft explains how this can interoperate
with IPsec tunnel mode at the other end (the point of the draft) and is in
fact, indistinguishable.

Now, if you are referring to using gif+and IPsec _tunnel_ mode .... why
would one want to even do this?

MikeC

MikeC