Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 22:06:32 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@tbv.se>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD->Solaris

Troy Settle wrote:

> James,
>
> I'm in the same boat.  I can navigate my FreeBSD boxes blind folded (as
> long as I can peek out the corner :).
>
> I'm now responsible for a slew of solaris boxes.  I don't like the layout
> one little bit.  I find the Solaris /etc directory to be a complete
> nightmare.
>
> I haven't had time to sit down and negotiate with Solaris to find a happy
> medium, but I'm confident that given time, I can re-structure the /etc
> directory to be more in line with my FreeBSD boxes.

	Whatever you do, don't do that. :) The next time you try to apply a
patch set from Sun you'll get screwed royally. The Solaris/SysV stuff
isn't really that hard to learn if you're familiar with basic system
administration. They also have fairly good man pages, although they
don't build an index by default so I had to run catman before I could
use apropos.

	Others already gave you references to some pretty good resources, I
would add to that http://sunfreeware.com/ which will give you a head
start on the closest relative to our packages that Sun has. I like to
install some tools that I'm familiar with and rely on (like diff, RCS,
bash, etc.) to help get over the hump.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire