Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:06:02 -0500
From:      "Schleich, Arno Rene" <arnschle@iupui.edu>
To:        <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HP Pavilion DV6110us notebook install problems

I encountered multiple problems with FreeBSD 6.2 RC1 on the following
notebook

=20

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type
=3Dproduct_detail&product_code=3DRG254UA%23ABA&jumpid=3Doc_R1002_USENC-00=
1_HP%
20Pavilion%20dv6110us%20Notebook%20PC&lang=3Den&cc=3Dus

=20

AMD Turion dual core tl50, nvidia 6150 go, MCP51 nforce disk and
ethernet controllers and onboard sound, and a Broadcom wlan interface,
which I haven't found out much about as of yet.

As the system is completely stuck at the moment I cannot get more info
(dmesg, uname etc.) to You, but maybe You can give me some directions as
I am trying to decide as whether to delete or rebuild the system.

=20

(i)                   From the start booting worked only with acpi
disabled

(ii)                 Sound never worked - I tried snd_hda and snd_ich
which had appeared to be most promising without any success

(iii)                Smp does crash everything

(iv)                Cannot reboot/shutdown except by pressing the on/off
button

(v)                  The nve driver seemed to work well enough to run
the disks and the Ethernet

(vi)                No trace of the wlan - everything related to atheros
compiled into a costum kernel

(vii)               Power management crashes everything when enabled

=20

I wonder if these problems and their likely origin in incompatible
hardware are unsolvable making further install attempts futile or if it
is something I am doing wrong. As I depend on productivity and computing
power I have some interest in using the underlying hardware to its
fullest but also cannot afford a lot of time experimenting.

So I'd be thankful for some hints as to whether it is likely that
FreeBSD can run on this platform.

=20

Thanks

=20