Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:14:39 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: off topic question

At 01:54 PM 3/11/98 -0500, Steve Hovey wrote:

>I know this is off topic - and you all may smack me if you like but Ive
>spent the entire day tryng to get the answer to this and have failed so
>far.
>
>I have ascend 4048s - I want to config them to do either regular ISDn or
>DOV (data over voice)  Anyone done this or know where instructions are?

Not 100% certain but DOV should work with any ISDN PRI, since it is still a _data_ call.  The client must have CSD (Circuit Switched Data) _and_ CSV (CS Voice) on their end, otherwise they cannot originate a DOVBS call.  Make sure they explicitly order BOTH channels this way.

For SOHO BRI is nice, but I've always advised people to get both on both channels, even if they plan to only use one voice line.  If only one is CSV then they can only do a 56K DOVBS call.

No matter what it is and ISDN voice call that is interpreted as data on your end.
Both Livingston and Ascend so this.  Not sure how Ascend works but Livingston will do MPPP over mulitiple units, but you need to set the MEI to the last unit.

Be advised that MPPP with DOV is not always as successful as MPPP with ISDN.  Depending on the TA, it will retry so many times and each try costs $.06 in Ameritech land.  Not fun when I need more speed and no ISDN lines are free forcing me to DOVBS. :(

>Again Im sorry for the inappropriateness of this post to these list.

Hmmm.... running RADIUS on FBSD? ;)

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net