Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:47:49 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   clicky driver

	People,

	Some of you know that I've been working on a speech-computer:
	a small, easily portable computer than virtually anyone can
	afford.  (To be fair, there is a touchscreen device that uses
	Windows.  If you have at least $9,000 to spend.]

	I have spend the past weeks checking out the OLPC "XO" computer.
	It comes with espeak which lots of speech-impaired find a lousy
	way of giving them a voice.  The size of the keyboard is an issue;
	another issue is that the computer had RH on ROM.  One developer
	told me that the keys are hard to press and have no feedback.
	Nothing tactile, and because neither Linux nor BSD has an audio
	"click", not even that.  Sun does have a command line

	% click -[yn]

	which is a start.

	If someone in the kernel-side would work with me and add the
	Audio click, I will look at some of the netbooks to see how
	usable they are.  There are millions of people world-wide with
	impaired speech who can type.  The variation is too wide for
	anyone or any device to cover everything, but that, so far, is the
	rational to do nothing.

	As a first cut, is there somebody on the kernel side I should check
	with to see about adding a "click driver"?

	thanks in advance.

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php