Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:10:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        brandon@roguetrader.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARC/AlphaBIOS (164UX boards) .. was: Re: horrible hack / SRM

> > > Stefan Esser is working on AlphaBIOS booting at the moment but it is very
> > > early days.  We are still at the stage of reverse-engineering the M$
> > > executable format...
> >
> > I guess what I am not understanding is why this level of work needs to
> > be done?  Cannot MILO be altered to also work with FreeBSD?  I can see
> > many advantages in sharing sourcecode for this matter, even though it
> > is from 'the other camp' so to speak...
>
> Milo requires the Linux kernel sources to build.  I would also prefer a
> non-gpl solution to the bootstrap.

Not to mention that Milo replaces the microcode with something other
than SRM and other than ARC, etc, and as a result is constantly
playing catch-up with new boards.

Someone should approach Compaq about SRM, now that DEC is no longer
anally trying to keep everything $120 more expensive than running
NT for some sill ass reason...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---