Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:17:26 +0200
From:      David =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Chris <chris@ooc2000.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use my FreeBSD box as a terminal

On Tue 2002-07-30 (14:40), Chris wrote:
> Hi all, my router has a console port that I can connect to with a computer
> that has a serial port. There are only instructions for Windows, and my
> development laptop here doesn't have a serial port. Plus I'd like to
> connect using a FreeBSD box anyway. Trouble is, I know nothing about
> terminals or that sort of thing. I suspect it's an easy question -- fire up
> a terminal, telling it to use my serial port and 9600,0,1, but I don't know
> how to do that!

I've used cu and minicom to do that.  cu is included in FreeBSD, and
can be used like so:

    $ cu -s 9600 -l /dev/cuaa0
    Connected.

    User Access Verification

    Username:

cuaa0 is COM1; replace as appropriate.  Type ~. to disconnect.

minicom is a full-featured serial comms package which reminds of
Telix.  You'll find it in the comms section of the ports collection.
And I'm sure there are plenty of other alternatives, too.

--
David Siebörger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za