Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:57:03 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PDF storage software recommendations?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:22:37 -0400, "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to store a bunch of PDFs of orders.  I'd like to be able to
> "tag" these by customer, date, and a couple of other characteristics,
> and then search and/or sort by these tags.
>
> I'm certain that we have something in ports that will do this, but
> danged if I can find a good candidate.  While I'm sure I could build a
> database/PHP app that would work, surely someone's already done this?
> Any recommendations?

Maybe my answer will sound "low level", but it works - REALLY works -
and works with mostly every kind of data.

Basically, you need to keep two things in mind:
	1. PDF file filenames
	2. a CSV database with a known format.

Let's say you don't care much for the PDF file names. It's okay,
as you don't have to. YOu have just to make sure that there aren't
two files with the same name (but IF they are, different path
prefixes / subdirs make it possible).

Let's furthermore say you maintain a file of a format like this:

# $1		: $2		: $3		: $4
# filename	: Customer Name	: Date		: Keywords
# --------------:---------------:---------------:--------------------
0477763.pdf	: Sixpack J. Q.	: 2010-05-12	: paper, plastics
76248873aT.pdf	: Meow C.	: 2009-03-18	: fish, chips, beer
UF/5u7r3jh.pdf	: Woof D.	: 2010-01-05	: explosives
rrw85673.pdf	: Monk A.	: 2010-04-23	: tissues, water

Now you can easily search it (as it is pure text), and you can
use scripts (e. g. written in awk) to obtain specific information
and perform certain actions (like calling a PDF viewer program
with one or more files you want to view, or print files that
match a certain criteria you can query for). You can use a script
to compact the database (remove the "pretty printing" that helps
when manually editing the file), or even sort it. The file name
can then "point to" a specific subtree with all the "tricks" you
can do on file system level.

You can also easily (!) write your own GUI wrapper for a shell
script that does
	- create new entries
	- edit entries
	- remove entries
	- search for entries
	- perform actions (open in viewer, print to printer)
	- add new / remove unneeded data columns
I'd even recommend using Tcl/Tk for that.

Oh, and did I mention that you can not only use this for PDF
files, but for ALL files? It's very versatile and extendible.
It doesn't tie you to a specific program. Additionally, it can
be used on many platforms this way.

You even don't need PHP or databases for that. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany