Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:19:16 -0500
From:      Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to deploy FreeBSD desktops ?

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb

Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com> wrote:
=20
>  Can anyone give me advice on how I should go about deploying and
> maintaining FreeBSD desktops, in a company setting? I know how to do
> it for my own FreeBSD desktop but how would I manage 30 to 50
> simultaneous installs?

Shamelessly plugging myself :-), I'd like to point out that I presented
a framework for just this at EuroBSDCon this year.  Well, not FreeBSD
desktops, but NetBSD, but the underlying principle is obviously the
same.  So you may find this paper helpful:

http://www.netbsd.org/~jschauma/netbsd-desktop.pdf
http://www.netbsd.org/~jschauma/netbsd-desktop-slides.pdf

> Also what would be an effective way to track
> ports so that I don't inadvertently portupgrade to an unstable=20
> version of software? Would I set aside one computer for tracking
> ports? That is, suppose I have Gnome 2.6.2 in use but I want to
> evaluate 2.8.0. How should I test it? Superficially, it would seem a
> simple thing but how can  I be sure that my use of 2.8.0 replicates
> what be normal usage, throughout the company?

I usually build binary versions of all my software.  I install
everything in a test-sandbox, and push the changes out to one machine if
I need to test such an upgrade.  If I have willing users, I push out the
changes from the test-sandbox to them and let them evaluate the setup
for a few days, before I update the production-sandbox and push out all
clients.

-Jan

--=20
Free Speech Online - Stop Internet Censorship
   --- Electronic Frontier Foundation -- http://www.eff.org ---

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb--