Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 17:46:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        smace@metal-mail.neosoft.com (Scott Mace)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.x and large memory configs

	Hi there,

> Has anyone used FreeBSD 2 (or the snaps) with large mem configs like
> around 128megs?  (EISA or PCI bus).

	As far as I know only SNAPs older than 0210 will work
	with big amount of RAM
	I personally have PC with 128Mb RAM under 2.1Development
	(aka SNAPs).
	If you'll be able to fix source code in
	sys/src/sys/i386/i386/machdep.c
	near the lines saying :
/* Use BIOS values stored in RTC CMOS RAM, since probing
 * breaks certain 386 AT relics.
 */

	to fake stuff like :

	biosextmem = 129024; /* only the line wich deals with biosextmem */
						 /* should be changed */

	instead of using the BIOS call to define
	amount of RAM installed , and #define LARGEMEM
	thru the option in config file for new kernel,
	you'll be set.

	The problem is that some PC brands report wrong
	amount of memory ( I have some 4 names in my
	collection of brain-dead brands , including
	well respected Gateway-2000, DELL , Micron ).

> 	Scott

	If you plan to add extra RAM in the future ( and do have
	free SIMM slots :) - setup the amount to some really
	fantastic value ( 129024*2 will be nice ) - so the
	kernel will determine the amount of RAM kinda automatically.
	It scans the RAM till first invalid/nonexistent page
	and won't use the RAM addrs above that value.

	Rashid